For More Information: Call (937) 224-1518 or e-mail email@example.com
January 3 First Friday: “New in 2020” Edition
December 26, 2019, DAYTON, Ohio —We will soon say goodbye to 2019, but 2020 is starting off with excitement in downtown Dayton! Local businesses are ready to support you as you try something new in the New Year, whether that’s a new drink, a new meal, a new style, or a new hobby. With such a large variety of locally owned places to dine, shop, and engage in fun activities downtown, the perfect “new” for you or your friends and family can be found in downtown Dayton. In addition to the activities listed below, live entertainment will be bustling throughout downtown. Hop on the free Flyer circulator bus to get to and from First Friday destinations. To find a map with the route and pick-up locations, visit www.irideRTA.org/TheFlyer.
Check out the individual First Friday listings below, and remember the most up-to-date event listings can be found in the online calendar published on the Downtown Dayton Partnership’s website. Subscribing to the weekly e-vents email newsletter also keeps one up to speed. For more information about First Friday, or to find business addresses, parking, upcoming activities and more, visit the DDP website at downtowndayton.org. Invite friends and family to partake in First Friday fun! “Like” and share the First Friday Facebook page.
Art ● The Front Street Building Co., 1001 E. Second St.: Take a stroll through Front Street on First Friday. Visit open studios, meet and greet with artists and artisans, and check out January’s shows at The Orphanage, the Dana L. Wiley GALLERY, Us and Them Art Space, The Front Street Studio Gallery, Dutoit Gallery, The Leopold Morgus Art Gallery, divisible. Enjoy acoustic music by Scott Lindberg on the guitar on the second floor. If you are lucky, you might catch Charlie Campbell on the accordion on the third floor! Come hungry and grab a hot slice of pizza by Gionino’s Pizzeria in the courtyard. Call (937) 331-9061. ● Skeleton Dust Records, 133 E. Third St.: Skeleton Dust presents an art opening by local Dayton artist Ocean Weisgerber From 7:00-9:00 PM. Dayton improv/noise duo Bad Font will perform during the evening as well. ● Edward A. Dixon Gallery, 12 S. Ludlow St.: The Edward A. Dixon Gallery will be open from 6pm-9pm ready for you to look at and shop for fine art from both local and international artists. Call (937) 331-8454.
● Blind Bob’s Bar, 430 E. Fifth St.: This First Friday, Blind Bob’s will be hosting Bird Brain Breakfast, HGC, and Social Q. 21 & up happy Hour is from 4-8 PM With $1 off wells. Call (937) 938-6405.
● Dublin Pub, 300 Wayne Ave: It is another Irish First Friday at Dublin Pub! Happy Hour is from 3-6 PM. Head on over for a pint and a night of music from Hey There Morgan. Call (937) 224-7822.
● Front Street, 1001 E. Second St.: Visit open studios, meet and greet with Front Street’s artists and
artisans, and check out January’s shows at The Orphanage, the Dana L. Wiley GALLERY, Us and Them
Art Space, The Front Street Studio Gallery, Dutoit Gallery, The Leopold Morgus Art Gallery, divisible.
Enjoy acoustic music by Scott Lindberg on the guitar on the second floor. If you are lucky, you might
catch Charlie Campbell on the accordion on the third floor! Come hungry and grab a hot slice of pizza
by Gionino’s Pizzeria in the courtyard. Call (937) 331-9061
● Oregon Express, 336 E. Fifth St.: The Linda Prevo band will be performing at the Oregon Express this
First Friday. Happy Hour 4-7 PM. includes $10 pitchers of Stella, Fat Tire, and Lagunitas IPA. Live music
starts around 9 p.m. Call (937) 223-9205.
● Trolley Stop, 530 E. Fifth St.: The Great Serpent Mound of Ohio will be live at the Trolley Stop this First
Friday night starting at 9:30 p.m.! Half-price happy hour including appetizers and drinks specials from 4-
7 p.m. Call (937) 461-1101.
● AUSRA Art Studio, 1001 E. 2nd St.: Calling all French speakers! Head on down to AUSRA Art Studio
from 6-8 PM for a French conversation meetup. The primary objective is to improve your speaking
French and to have a good time. Also for those who just want to enjoy feeling immersed in a Frenchspeaking
environment. All levels are welcome. Alors venez vous joindre à nous! Call (937) 520-0039.
● The Black Box Improv Theatre, 518 E. Third St.: Beginning at 8 p.m., Tyler and Aidan, aka “Strictly
Platonic,” take a one-word suggestion and create two-person magic, creating a full one-act play full of
zany characters. Don’t miss this show that has captivated audiences from Dayton to Detroit! The Show
is BYOB (Bring Your Own Bottle/Beer). Tickets are $15. Call (937) 369-0747.
● Chaminade Julienne Catholic High School, 505 S. Ludlow St.: CJ will be hosting a wrestling match
against Carroll on Friday, January 3. It begins at 4 p.m. with it probably wrapping up around 7 p.m. The
match will be in the CJ Gym (505 S. Ludlow St., Dayton, 45402). Admission is $6 for adults and $4 for
students and seniors. Call (937) 461-3740
● Dayton Chess Club, 18 W. Fifth St.: Every Friday evening (except when there are weekend
tournaments), there is a USCF-rated tournament ($10 for DCC members /$20 for non-DCC members),
plus a few players who opt to play casual chess. For First Friday, this will be Quick rated (G/24, 5 sec.
increment). Call (937) 270-4016.
● Dayton League of Women Voters, 127 N. Ludlow St.: The Dayton League of Women Voters are having
an open house with a Toast to Minnie Stanley, the first president of the League after the 19th
amendment was signed, from 5:30-8:00 PM. Celebrate Minnie Stanley and join in a toast to the 100th
anniversary of your Dayton League. Call (937) 228-4041
● RiverScape MetroPark. 237 E. Monument Ave.: The Dayton holiday staple, the RiverScape MetroParks
Ice Rink ice-skating by the river is back open for business. Head on down to skate at RiverScape from
2:30-10 p.m. Visit https://www.metroparks.org/ice-rink/ for hours and pricing. Call (937) 274-0126.
● Urban Krag Climbing Center, 125 Clay St.: Swing by this restored church and get blown away by the
10,000 square foot indoor rock-climbing center inside! Enjoy the First Timers Friday deal and get a day
pass, belay certification, shoe, and harness rental, all for $30. Take First Friday to new heights from 3 to
11 p.m. Call (937) 224-5724.
● Wiley’s Comedy Club, 101 Pine St.: This weekend, head on over to Wiley’s to enjoy the hilarious standup
comedian Rob Haney and Friends! 18+. Two-item minimum purchase. The show starts at 8 p.m. and
tickets are on sale now. Call (937) 224-5653.
Food and Drink
● Basil’s On Market, 312 N. Patterson Blvd.: Basil’s will be hosting Happy Hour from 3-6 p.m. Pop in to
enjoy a $5 bar menu that includes bruschetta, fries, wings, artichoke dip, and tacos. They will also have
$5 house wine and $5 select craft beer. Call (937) 818-4390.
● Fifth Street Brewpub, 1600 E. Fifth St.: Stop in to wind down after work or get your night started. Enjoy
$1 off beers, wine, and appetizers. Call (937) 443-0919.
● Pedal Wagon Dayton, 28 N Patterson Blvd.: The Polar Bear Express is back at 6 p.m. this First Friday!
Their abominably decorated Pedal Wagons, which would be the envy of Clark Griswold, will leave you
laughing all the way through this 2-hour pedal-powered winter adventure. They will take you to
Dayton’s best bars and restaurants where you will enjoy seasonal specials! There is truly no better way
to take in the entire Dayton holiday splendor as you pedal through the festive streets. And, don’t
worry, their wagons are equipped to keep you dry and toasty if the pedaling itself isn’t enough to warm
you up! Reservations required and can be made at https://pedalwagon.com. Call (937) 388-3006.
● Salar Restaurant & Lounge, 400 E. Fifth St.: Salar offers happy hour from 5 to 7 p.m. at the main bar,
including options for a Build-Your-Own Pisco Bar. Bar patrons can enjoy $5 house wines, $1 off draft
beer, and select $5 bar bites. Call (937) 203-3999.
● Grace Lane Boutique, 133 E. Fourth St.: Grace Lane Boutique will be hosting a Sip ’n’ Shop. Grab a drink
at their hot cocoa bar while you check out their latest in ethical winter fashion. Call (937) 903-2729.
● Space Three, 39 S. St. Clair St.: Space Three is a brand new boutique fitness studio in downtown
Dayton! This First Friday, they are hosting a special “SWERK, TRX and Bootybarre” compilation class.
Spots will be limited to 14 people, there will not be a cost for the class, but a donation of coffee, sugar
or creamer will be collected to benefit the House of Bread charity as they are serving coffee every day
during the winter. Call (937) 604-0231
The Downtown Dayton Partnership’s website has a complete list of downtown’s arts and cultural
amenities, as well as a dining guide, parking map and much more.
Share this Post