For More Information: Call (937) 224-1518 or e-mail email@example.com
February 7 First Friday: Leap into Local Love Edition
January 27, 2020, DAYTON, Ohio — The month of love is a day longer this year! Happening exactly a week before Valentine’s Day, February 7 First Friday is all about spreading the love in downtown Dayton. There is such a large variety of locally owned places to dine, shop, and engage in fun activities downtown, so come and fall even more in love with downtown Dayton.
The band Queen asked “Can anybody find me somebody to love?” and this First Friday at RiverScape MetroPark’s Ice Rink you can find out for yourself with Queen music playing all night long. It’s the last themed night before the ice rink is gone until next winter! Come and join Parker the Penguin jamming out from 7-10 p.m. to the legendary songs of this 70’s British band. Cost is $8.00 and includes skate rental, and ages 3 and under are free. Visit https://www.metroparks.org/ice-rink/ for hours and pricing or call (937) 274-0126.
Love will also be roaming the streets, with entertainment out serenading people around downtown Dayton. There will also be a special love-themed balloon artists. Make sure to walk around from business to business downtown and through the Oregon District to grab your own piece of balloon art.
In addition to the activities listed below, live entertainment will be bustling throughout downtown, including musicians and a balloon artists roving the streets of downtown ready to give you a Valentine’s surprise. Hop on the free Flyer circulator bus to get to and from First Friday destinations. To find a map with the route and pick-up locations, visit www.irideRTA.org/TheFlyer.
Check out the individual First Friday listings below, and remember the most up-to-date event listings can be found in the online calendar published on the Downtown Dayton Partnership’s website. Subscribing to the weekly e-vents email newsletter also keeps one up to speed. For more information about First Friday, or to find business addresses, parking, upcoming activities and more, visit the DDP website at downtowndayton.org. Invite friends and family to partake in First Friday fun! “Like” and share the First Friday Facebook page.
- The Contemporary Dayton, 118 N. Jefferson St.: The first CO exhibit of the new year, With Devotion, presents artists whose work re-contextualizes traditional materials in new and bold ways, featuring work in various media by 4 diverse regional artists with a range of diverse materials and surfaces. The gallery will be open until 8 p.m. with light refreshments. Call (937)224-3822.
- Dutoit Gallery, 1001 E. Second St.: There is new artwork at the Dutoit Gallery in February from Fred Draper, featuring landscapes from the West Coast made over the past three years. Opening night will be from 5-8 p.m. Call (937) 829-8016
- Edward A. Dixon Gallery, 12 S. Ludlow St.: The Edward A. Dixon Gallery will be open from 6-8:30 p.m. ready for you to look at and shop for fine art. This First Friday, there is an opening reception for the artwork of Ronnie Williams. Williams is an award winning painter who has been creating art professionally for over 40 years and whose portraits and murals now hang in many churches, cultural centers, institutions and businesses throughout the United States. There will also be a spoken word performance and light refreshments during the Opening Reception. Take this opportunity to see and hear from one of Dayton’s enduring and talented artists. Call (937) 331-8454.
- The Front Street Building Co., 1001 E. Second St.: Take a stroll through Front Street on First Friday. Visit us and take a stroll through open studios, galleries, and workshops. Meet and greet with our artists and artisans, and check out the line-up of show and exhibit openings at The Orphanage, Dana L. Wiley GALLERY, Us and Them Art Space, Front Street Studio Gallery, Dutoit Gallery, The Leopold Morgus Art Gallery, and Divisible Projects Enjoy acoustic music by Scott Lindberg on the guitar on the third floor. If you are lucky, you might catch Charlie Campbell on the accordion on the third floor! Come hungry and grab a hot slice of pizza by Gionino’s Pizzeria in the courtyard. Call (937) 331-9061.
- Skeleton Dust Records, 133 E. Third St.: Skeleton Dust presents an art opening for Chicago-based artist Devin Owsley-Aquilia from 7:00-9:00 p.m. There will also be live music with Dayton’s Final Machine performing during the evening as well. Call (937) 221-8528.
- The Barrel House, 417 E Third St.: Join The Barrel House for their Funky Friday! They’ll have some great beers on tap from Seventh Son Brewing and new local art on display from Jacki J! Come for the beer and food and stay for the funk that DJ Cooley will be spinning from 6-10 p.m. Call (937) 222-4795.
- Blind Bob’s Bar, 430 E. Fifth St.: This First Friday, Blind Bob’s will be hosting Jojo Stella! 21 & up Happy Hour is from 4-8 p.m. with $1 off wells. Call (937) 938-6405.
- Dublin Pub, 300 Wayne Ave: It is another Irish First Friday at Dublin Pub! Happy Hour is from 3-6 p.m. Head on over for a pint and a night of music from Marys Lane. Call (937) 224-7822.
- Oregon Express, 336 E. Fifth St.: The Times and The Linda Prevo Band will be performing at the Oregon Express this First Friday. Happy Hour 4-7 p.m. includes $10 pitchers of Stella, Fat Tire, and Lagunitas IPA. Live music starts around 9 p.m. Call (937) 223-9205.
- Trolley Stop, 530 E. Fifth St.: Come to the Trolley Stop for half-price Happy Hour, with half off appetizers and $2 Well Drinks from 4 to 7 p.m. Later in the night, Bashiri Asad will be the musical guest, performing soul and R&B music. Music starts at 9:30 p.m. with a $5 cover starting at 9 p.m. The cover gets patrons into Trolley Stop, Tumbleweed and Blind Bob’s, unless there’s a special event. Call (937)461-1101.
- Yellow Cab Tavern, 700 E. Fourth St.: Yellow Cab Tavern will be hosting the first semi-annual Reel Love Showcase on Friday and it will continue on Saturday Night, Feb. 8. This two-day event features a curated selection of the many artists recorded by Reel Love Recording Company, a Nashville studio that has worked with most Dayton bands. A two-day pass is $15 in advance at https://www.soundvalleydayton.com/events/the-first-semi-annual-reel-love-showcase and single day tickets will be available for $10 at the doors. Cover starts both days at 7pm. This show is all ages, with guests under 18 requiring a guardian. Call (937) 424-3870.
- The Black Box Improv Theatre, 518 E. Third St.: Beginning at 8 p.m., Tyler and Aidan, aka “Strictly Platonic,” take a one-word suggestion and create two-person magic, creating a full one-act play full of zany characters. Don’t miss this show that has captivated audiences from Dayton to Detroit! The Show is BYOB (Bring Your Own Bottle/Beer). Tickets are $15. Call (937) 369-0747.
- Dayton Chess Club, 18 W. Fifth St.: Every Friday evening (except when there are weekend tournaments), there is a USCF-rated tournament ($10 for DCC members /$20 for non-DCC members), plus a few players who opt to play casual chess. For First Friday, this will be Quick rated (G/24, 5 sec. increment). Call (937) 270-4016.
- Dayton Flight Basketball, Sinclair Building 8, 444 W. Third St.: The Dayton Flight professional basketball team is hosting its inaugural season in 2020. This team is excited to be a part of The Basketball League (TBL), a twelve team professional basketball league drawing talent from all over the world. On Friday, Feb. 7 the Dayton Flight will take on the Columbus Condors at 7:30 p.m., with doors opening one hour before tipoff. For more info, visit their Facebook page or call (937) 688-3883.
- RiverScape MetroPark. 237 E. Monument Ave.: Do you love the rock anthems of Queen? Then head to the MetroParks Ice Rink from 7 to 10 p.m. and skate as a live DJ plays a variety of hits from the legendary rock group. You’ll even catch the mascot, Parker the Penguin, jamming out on the ice! Cost is $8.00 and includes skate rental. Ages 3 and under are free. Visit https://www.metroparks.org/ice-rink/ for hours and pricing. Call (937) 274-0126.
- Space Three, 39 S. St. Clair St.: Space Three is a brand new boutique fitness studio in downtown Dayton! This First Friday, take mini versions of barre, TRX, and SWERK all in one class. Registration is limited to 14 people. Sign up for FREE at www.spacethreedayton.com but please bring a donation ($10 min) for the American Heart Association in honor of Heart Health Month. Call (937) 604-0231
- Spaghetti Warehouse, 36 W. Fifth St.: Spaghetti Warehouse is hosting a Mystery Dinner Theater titled: “Gams, Gangsters, & Giggle Water”. It is a mystery whodunnit with a mafia theme. It will perfectly go with a great Italian dinner. It is only $29.95 per person for dinner and the show. Includes salad, bread, soft drink, entrée, dessert and the show. Reservations must be made first. Call (937) 461-3913
- Urban Krag Climbing Center, 125 Clay St.: Swing by this restored church and get blown away by the 10,000 square foot indoor rock-climbing center inside! Enjoy the First Timers Friday deal and get a day pass, belay certification, shoe, and harness rental, all for $30. Take First Friday to new heights from 3 to 11 p.m. Call (937) 224-5724.
Food and Drink
- Basil’s On Market, 312 N. Patterson Blvd.: Basil’s will be hosting Happy Hour from 3-6 p.m. Pop in to enjoy a $5 bar menu that includes bruschetta, fries, wings, artichoke dip, and tacos. They will also have $5 house wine and $5 select craft beer. Call (937) 818-4390.
- Benjamin & Marian Schuster Performing Arts Center, 1 W. Second St.: Come see what the Dayton region’s breweries and distilleries have to offer at the Winter Brewster & Spirits from 6 to 9:30 p.m. Tickets include a sampling glass and 10 tastes. Small beer-inspired plates and snacks are available for purchase. Tickets can be found at https://my.ticketcenterstage.com/6288?fbclid=IwAR12xCudSFs-N25nvLrYvSozGkkXrDJTeOqBNI6sISY-aZcgEvoVoU83h8c Call (937) 228-7591
- Fifth Street Brewpub, 1600 E. Fifth St.: Stop in to wind down after work or get your night started. Enjoy $1 off beers, wine, and appetizers. Call (937) 443-0919.
- Salar Restaurant & Lounge, 400 E. Fifth St.: Salar offers happy hour from 5 to 7 p.m. at the main bar, including options for a Build-Your-Own Pisco Bar. Bar patrons can enjoy $5 house wines, $1 off draft beer, and select $5 bar bites. Call (937) 203-3999.
- Grace Lane Boutique, 133 E. Fourth St.: Grace Lane Boutique will be hosting a Sip ’n’ Shop. Grab a drink while you check out their latest in ethical winter fashion. Call (937) 903-2729.
- Clash Dayton, 521 E. Fifth St.: Clash will be featuring local fashion designer, Raven Bombshell, with her handmade robes, dresses and lingerie that are perfect for Valentine’s Day. The shop will also be stocking extra stores of handmade candles, jewelry and apothecary from various local artists from the Dayton area for the perfect gifts.
The Downtown Dayton Partnership’s website has a complete list of downtown’s arts and cultural amenities, as well as a dining guide, parking map and much more.
Share this Post