SEASON STARTS WITH FREE DOWNTOWN HOUSING TOUR, 1-5PM MAY 11
For more information: Val Beerbower, 937-224-1518 ext. 230, email@example.com
May 6, 2019 (DAYTON, Ohio) — Warmer weather appears to finally be here, and that means it’s time for the DP&L Summer in the City! The Downtown Dayton Partnership is bringing back the series of signature events for another season.
The fun begins this Saturday with the return of the popular, free Downtown Housing Tour, 1-5 p.m. May 11. There will be a mix of apartments and condos to tour, giving attendees several tastes of downtown living, along with behind-the-scenes tours of active development sites the Fire Blocks and the Dayton Arcade.
New this year: Find out what downtown life is like during the downtown resident panel discussion. The resident panel takes place at a special time, noon to 1 p.m., at the Troll Pub, 216 Wayne Ave. Additional new features include a group-led walking or Link bike tour, and a behind-the-scenes look at downtown’s progress in a special exhibit in the Huffman building lobby (part of the Fire Blocks residential lofts).
Again, thanks to the generosity of our partners at the Greater Dayton RTA, visitors can use The Flyer as a complimentary shuttle, in addition to rides on the Dayton Pedal Wagon for a more whimsical transit option. Of course, downtown Dayton is a highly walkable city, and each destination can be easily accessed on foot. Visit downtowndayton.org for the map and details. The Downtown Housing Tour is sponsored by Vectren, WHIO-TV, RTA, and the Summer in the City title sponsor, DP&L.
More fun is planned throughout the summer. Other DP&L Summer in the City signature events include:
- The Great Dayton Adventure Race, June 1: Form a team of one to four people to search for clues throughout downtown. The DDP is shaking things up for the race this year, moving the event from a Friday night to Saturday afternoon, and lifting time restrictions to give participants more opportunities to enjoy each location. More raffle items ensure plenty of people have a chance to take home some prizes, and the street party in the Oregon District after the race is a great activity to enjoy before heading to that evening’s free concert at the Levitt Pavilion. Watch the website for registration information.
- Art in the City, August 2: Visual and performing arts merge into a mega-arts event for August’s First Friday! The Contemporary (formerly Dayton Visual Arts Center) again will proctor a juried visual art show with pop-up galleries placed in downtown businesses. The public is invited to visit the displays and vote for their favorite artist. The two-week voting period kicks off on August 2 with live performances, art-making stations, demonstrations, and much more throughout downtown from 5-9 p.m.! Don’t miss the new special exhibit featuring the first-ever winner of the Art in the City grant program. This project will include a hands-on, collaborative, art-making activity.
- The Square Is Where, May-September: Downtown workers, residents, and visitors are invited to Courthouse Square for free lunchtime programming from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. weekdays. Enjoy oversized games, picnic tables, food vendors, and live entertainment including musical acts and trivia.
- First Friday: The first Friday of every month is a great time to visit downtown Dayton. Art galleries throughout the city feature fresh exhibits, restaurants offer food and drink specials, live music plays on street corners and inside downtown pubs, and streets come to life with activity.
- Festivals: Downtown is home to many fantastic community festivals, including the Dayton Celtic Festival, City of Dayton’s Summer Music Series, Germanfest Picnic, street parties in the Oregon District, and many more. DP&L Summer in the City will put the spotlight on these popular events.
- Levitt Pavilion: This new venue was a hit during last year’s short schedule, and now it’s back with 52 free performances jammed into its lineup of summer activities. For the complete list, visit www.LevittDayton.org.
Here’s how you can stay up to date on all downtown happenings this summer:
- Events & Activities Guide – The DDP has put together a handy guide and calendar that highlights dozens of great events happening downtown this summer. Find printed copies at downtown businesses and events, or download the guide here.-
- Online Events Calendar – The online calendar is constantly being updated with even more downtown events to check out this summer, so be sure to visit it frequently.-
- “e-vents” Newsletter – Subscribe today weekly “e-vents” emails and don’t miss out on any of the downtown events and activities planned each week. Each email covers all downtown happenings from Friday through the following Thursday.
Remember, visitors, residents, and downtown workers can easily get from place to place by using the free Flyer, or purchasing a pass or membership to the Link bike share system. To learn more, visit downtowndayton.org, or facebook.com/DowntownDayton and click on the “events” link to RSVP and invite friends to attend upcoming DP&L Summer in the City signature events.
# # #
Share this Post