The 2021 AES Ohio Art in the City event brings together hundreds of Dayton-area artists from all genres together at one event in downtown Dayton
July 28, 2021 (DAYTON, Ohio) … The Downtown Dayton Partnership is excited to invite the community to rediscover the visual and performing arts experience in downtown Dayton at the AES Ohio Summer in the City Art in the City event on Saturday, August 7, starting at 11 a.m.
Celebrating its fifth year, Art in the City is back in-person following a virtual 2020 celebration, and is bigger than ever. The full day of offerings will include a variety of Dayton’s best artistic talent – from painting and drawing, to spoken word poetry and dance – all together filling the streets of downtown Dayton and multiple stages with:
- Live performances
- Live demonstrations
- Hands-on activities
- Interactive classes
- A local artisan market
- A Juried Art Show
“Art in the City is about celebrating the immense creative talent that lives in Dayton and finds inspiration in our city and our community,” said Sandra K. Gudorf, president of the Downtown Dayton Partnership. “This event is a collaboration with our arts organizations, small businesses, and the artists themselves who will immerse downtown Dayton in activity, color, sound and energy.”
Art in the City will bring art to every corner of downtown Dayton, including special hands-on community activities such as:
- Chalk the Block: A huge chalk mural where you help fill in the masterpiece, sponsored by PNC
- Artist’s Row: A how-to paint and draw area, sponsored by AES Ohio
- The Artisan Market: On Courthouse Square with dozens of local artists displaying their goods, sponsored by Fifth Third Bank
- Gem City Selfie Museum Station: Explore unique and interactive backdrops
- AAVAG Notecard Workshop: Create and personalize your own card with the African American Visual Arts Guild
- The Family Zone: Activities for all ages including a bubble zone, live animals, face painting, hula hoop classes, music, an interactive Paper Quill Mural with the Dayton Art Institute, and more – sponsored by PNC
- Dress Up with the Dayton Theater Guild: Dress up with professional props and costumes at this photo booth
- Movie Magic with Film Dayton: Learn about and be a part of a local documentary filmed on location
- Arcade Festival: Dayton Arcade will close down Fourth Street with food vendors and more, as guests with free, reserved tickets can enter to tour the inside of the building
Stages across the footprint of the event are scheduled with musical acts, spoken word artists, and dancers throughout the day. Performing, visual and musical artists will also be lining the streets, creating a path of activities as visitors travel from one end of the event to the other. A map and schedule of the event will be updated soon at: https://www.downtowndayton.org/things-to-do/summer-in-the-city/art-in-the-city/
“AES Ohio is excited to sponsor the Summer in the City series giving families across the Miami Valley the opportunity to enjoy all downtown Dayton has to offer. Art in the City is a celebration of Dayton’s highly regarded visual and performing arts,” said AES Ohio Director of Community and Social Responsibility Holly Wiggins. “We are committed to partnerships that are welcoming to all and dedicated to making a difference where we live, work and play.”
The Art in the City Preview Night will take place on First Friday, Aug. 6. Art galleries throughout the city will feature fresh exhibits, restaurants will offer food and drink specials, while live musicians and street performers will be on street corners and inside downtown pubs.
AES Ohio Summer in the City Art in the City is a program of the Downtown Dayton Partnership and is sponsored by AES Ohio (formerly DP&L), Dayton.com, the Ohio Arts Council, Culture Works, Fifth Third Bank, The Montgomery County Arts and Cultural District, PNC, and the Eichelberger Foundation.
More information about AES Ohio Summer in the City is available online at downtowndayton.org. Pick up AES Ohio Summer in the City calendars at downtown businesses or at DDP info tables during signature events.
Share this Post