art in the city
Kickoff event 5-9 p.m., Friday, August 4
Celebrate Dayton’s rich collection of visual and performing arts during a special event that kicks off the second annual juried art show! Join local businesses, artists, and other organizations as we “paint, perform, and party” around downtown Dayton.
Art in the City Juried Art Show - August 4-18
Visit 25 mini pop-up gallery exhibits placed in 25 downtown businesses as part of a special two-week juried art show. Curated by the Dayton Visual Arts Center, the show kicks off during the Art in the City event on August 4 and runs through August 18.
Your vote can help your favorite artist win cash!
- Vote in person at the ballot boxes at participating businesses on August 4 only.
- Online voting is available August 4-18 at Dayton.com.
- The Art in the City People's Choice winner will be announced on August 18.
Visit each location and discover a new artist. A map of pop-up gallery locations will be available in downtown businesses and online here on this website. The locations for artwork include:
- AAA Tire & Auto Service, 200 E. Third St.
- Agnes and Orson Gifts & Goods, 514 E Third St.
- The Barrel House, 417 E. Third St.
- Basil's on Market, 312 N. Patterson Blvd.
- Clash Dayton, 521 E Fifth St.
- Corner Kitchen, 613 E. Fifth St.
- Crowne Plaza Hotel, 33 E. Fifth St.
- Deaf Monty's Wine/Inn Port D'vino, 22 Brown St.
- De'Lish Cafe, 139 N. Main St.
- The Dublin Pub, 300 Wayne Ave.
- The Front Street Experience/Spice Paradise, 16 Brown St.
- K12 Gallery and TEJAS, 341 S. Jefferson St.
- MJ's on Jefferson, 20 N. Jefferson St.
- Mudlick Taphouse, 135 E. Second St.
- Nucleus, 411 E. Fifth St.
- Project Warmth, 133 E. Third St.
- Puff Apothecary, 37 S. St. Clair St.
- Salon J Ladner, 45 S. St. Clair St.
- Sherwood Florist, 444 E. Third St.
- Strings Attached, 225 N. Main St.
- Third Perk, 46 W. Fifth St.
- Toxic Brewing Co., 431 E. Fifth St.
- The Trolley Stop, 530 E. Fifth St.
- Uno Pizzeria & Grill, 126 N. Main St.
- Warped Wing Brewing Co., 26 Wyandot St.
Kickoff Event - August 4
We’re kicking off the juried show open voting with a downtown-wide arts celebration. From 5 to 9 p.m. on First Friday, August 4, you’ll encounter live performances, art-making stations, vividly decorated city blocks, and other fun activities throughout downtown. Don’t miss:
Art Walk on Jefferson
K12 Gallery & TEJAS is creating a bright, colorful path connecting their space to DVAC and RiverScape MetroPark. Stroll the whimsical Art Walk on Jefferson Street and enjoy “yarn bombs,” art-making "creation stations," tree “cozies,” selfie stations, and other fiber arts activities. Participating artists along the Art Walk on Jefferson include Charise Weible, Heather Young, Andi Fasimpaur, Christina Gluck, Jenny Campbell-Roux, and featuring downtown’s locally owned yarn and knitting and crochet supply shop, Strings Attached.
Party on the Patio
From 6 to 8 p.m. on Friday, August 4, when you hit one of these participating patios, you’ll be able to take in a live art demo or a musical performance.
- 416 Diner
- Blind Bob’s
- Corner Kitchen
- The Dayton Beer Co. (downtown biergarten)
- The Dublin Pub
- Lily’s Bistro
- MJ’s on Jefferson
- Mudlick Tap House
- Toxic Brewing Co.
- The Trolley Stop
- Uno Pizzeria & Grill
- Wheat Penny Oven & Bar
- The Wine Gallery
Art Around Town
Downtown will be humming with all kinds of art activities – spoken-word poetry, string quartets, acoustic guitars, dancing, face painting, and so much more! Here are the participating artists, activities, and where you can find them:
- Dayton Ballet, studio tours and live class demonstrations at 5:30 and 7:15 p.m., Victoria Theatre
- Dayton Opera, pop-up performances, Crafted & Cured (5:30-6:30 p.m.) and Basil’s on Market (7:15-8:15 p.m., Dayton location)
- Dayton Performing Arts Alliance Trio, pop-up performances, 6-6:30 p.m. and 7-7:30 p.m. at Blind Bob’s
- Dayton Performing Arts Alliance String Duo, pop-up performances, 7-7:30 p.m. and 8-8:30 p.m. at Salon J Ladner
- Victoria Theatre Association’s Broadway Series previews, performed by students from Wright State University inside the Schuster Center (6 p.m.) and at Crafted & Cured (7 p.m.)
- Oral Funk Productions, spoken-word poetry, 7:15 to 8 p.m. on the DP&L Stage inside the Wintergarden at the Schuster Center
- Belly Dance by Bronwen, 6:40 p.m. on the DP&L Stage inside the Wintergarden and the Schuster Center
- Philippine-American Dance Group, demonstration of cultural dances, 6:15 p.m. on the DP&L Stage inside the Wintergarden at the Schuster Center
- Dayton Elegant Qipoa, traditional Chinese fan dances, 7-7:15 p.m. on the DP&L Stage inside the Wintergarden at the Schuster Center
- Chaminade Jullienne High School, images of African SNDeN Communities inside the Schuster Center
- Downtown in Focus, photo contest display inside the Schuster Center
- Dare to Defy, flash mob, musical performance outside the Schuster Center
- Cinder Arts, artistic demonstrations on the Art Walk on Jefferson
- Dayton Visual Arts Center, visit the annual Members' Show
- Edward Dixon Gallery, visit this new art gallery
- Wells & Co. Custom Tattoo, "Wrestle Art Mania" exhibit (7-11 p.m.)
- Brian Gerth, live piano at Speakeasy Yoga (7-9 p.m.)
- The Collaboratory, stand-up comedy tent, participatory art exhibit
- K12 Gallery & TEJAS, art-making activities at K12, and fiber artists on the Art Walk on Jefferson
- Aria clarinet quartet at Corner Kitchen
- SMAG Dance Collective, live dance demos at various locations
- Clash Dayton, 6th anniversary party and live mural painting by The Mural Machine
- Mike Elsass and the Life Enrichment Center, collaborative painting on the Art Walk on Jefferson
- Culture Works/We Care Arts, live dance demo on the Art Walk on Jefferson
- Funk Lab, live dance performances on the Art Walk on Jefferson
- Dayton Society of Artists, collaborative drawing on the Art Walk on Jefferson
- Playground Theatre, vignettes and participatory play readings, Mathile Theatre inside the Schuster Center
- Nucleus LIVE! Photography, Insta-Meet, live music, and more; Nucleus CoShare in the Oregon District
- Benjamin “Boy Blue” Baugham, live outdoor chalk art, Oregon District
- Soul Fire Tribe, fire dancing, Oregon District
- DPAA Volunteer Association, antique marionettes demonstrations at Basil's on Market
- Stivers School for the Arts, participatory sun prints art-making project, outside at the Schuster Center
- The Dayton Art Institute, participatory mask-making art activity outside the Schuster Center
- AUSRA & FRESHPOP, popping live painting on the Art Walk on Jefferson
- Marsha Pippenger, live art demonstration at Salar
- Front Street Experience, featuring local artists and new gallery exhibits, co-located with Spice Paradise in the Oregon District on Brown Street
- Family Art Corner, Second & Jefferson streets, near the Art Walk on Jefferson:
- DPAA Volunteer Association Instrument Petting Zoo, hands-on exploration of different instruments, corner of Second and Jefferson streets
- Magic by Dave Davis, live magic show, corner of Second and Jefferson streets
- Hair-Raising Science with Mister C, live science demo, corner of Second and Jefferson streets
- Margie Grove, participatory art activities for kids, corner of Second and Jefferson streets
- Dayton Poetry Slam, spoken-word poetry readings, 5:30 p.m. inside on the Trolley Stop stage
- Story Slamm Dayton, personal narratives delivered live, 6:00 p.m. inside on the Trolley Stop stage
- Missing Piece Art Space, create traditional “Day of the Dead” masks, at the Transportation Center parking garage
- Gem City Swing, watch live swing dancing demos and learn some steps, on the patio at Uno's and on the Art Walk on Jefferson Street
- Cool Films Series: Brigadoon, show begins at 7 p.m. at the Victoria Theatre
- Dan Rivers, live music at 416 Diner
- Martin Nichols, live music at Blind Bob's
- Mikee Huber, live art demo at Corner Kitchen
- Terry Welker and Urban Sketchers, live art demo at Dayton Beer Co.
- Miami Valley Pipe and Drum, muisc at The Dublin Pub
- Jason Skusa, live music at Hannah's
- Harmonica Neil, live music at Lily's Bistro
- Live Drag Performances at MJ's on Jefferson
- Noah Rauch, live music at Mudlick Tap House
- Edde Osborne, live music at The Trolley Stop
- Reyna & Dana, live music at Wheat Penny
- Joanne Vincent, live art demo at The Wine Gallery
- Zoot Theatre Co., watch for live puppeteering along the Art Walk on Jefferson
- Suzy Richardt, collaborative string art on the Art Walk on Jefferson
- The Human Race Theatre Co., short vignette performances and tours of The Loft Theatre, 5-9 p.m. in the Loft
- Deron Bell Band, live performance on the Art Walk on Jefferson
- Dominion Intercessors Ministry, African dance demos on the Art Walk on Jefferson
- Girls, Inc./YWCA & Whitney Saleski, interactive "girl power" activities and photo display on the Art Walk on Jefferson
- Levitt Pavilion/Friends of Levitt, on the Art Walk on Jefferson
- Missing Peace Art Space, cultural art-making activity on the Art Walk on Jefferson
- The Movement Collective, live dance demo on the Art Walk on Jefferson
- Red in the Water, live music on the Art Walk on Jefferson
- Strings Attached Shop, fiber art activities on the Art Walk on Jefferson
- Christina Gluck & Spire Arts, collaborative art acitivity on the Art Walk on Jefferson
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of the Greater Miami Valley, participatory art activity on the Art Walk on Jefferson
- Western Ohio Watercolor Society, participatory watercolor painting activity, on the Art Walk on Jefferson
Park for free in the lot next to K12 and use the gallery as your starting point for a night of fun. (There’s also a $3 special rate in the Transportation Center Garage for a more centrally located starting point.) On-street meters are free after 6 p.m., and other lots and garages abound.
Shopping, Dining, Music, and More First Friday Fun
Bet you nearly forgot with all this activity that it’s ALSO First Friday! For the list of shopping and dining specials, plus music, and more entertainment that’s practically an art form in its own right, Watch the First Friday Facebook page.
Most of the artists you’re seeing on August 4 will just be starting their new 2017-2018 seasons. Don’t miss a minute; sign up to receive the DDP’s weekly email newsletter, e-vents, and get the latest list of downtown happenings – including performances, gallery openings, and other arts events – delivered to your inbox: http://bit.ly/ddpsubscribe.
Art in the City partners include: Culture Works, the Dayton Art Institute, the Dayton Contemporary Dance Company, the Dayton Performing Arts Alliance, the Dayton Visual Arts Center, K12 Gallery & TEJAS, the Human Race Theatre Company, and the Victoria Theatre Association
Plan your night and your way around downtown by using our online dining and nightlife guides, our Find It Downtown tool, our parking resources, and our calendar of downtown events. Or, download the Find It Downtown mobile app for your smartphone!
If you have questions about Art in the City or want more information, call (937) 224-1518.