I-75 Modernization Final Phase
Check back regularly for the latest updates on highway construction
Alert: Salem Avenue Bridge, First & Second Streets Reopen
According to the City of Dayton, First and Second streets downtown and the Salem Avenue Bridge have reopened as work on that portion of the I-75 modernization was completed.
Alert: Temporary Closures Announced
According to the Ohio Department of Transportation, the following temporary closures are scheduled as part of the I-75 Modernization Project through downtown Dayton:
- I-75 southbound ramp to US 35 eastbound - 24-hour ramp closure through October 31. The official detour during this ramp closure is: I-75 south to the U-turn lane at the Edwin C. Moses Blvd. exit to I-75 north to US 35 east.
- Red Cross Lane between First Street and Gibbs Lane - 24-hour road closure through September 1, 2016. The official detour during this closure is First Street to Perry Street to Second Street to Red Cross Lane.
Current Travel Conditions:
All southbound and northbound I-75 ramps through downtown currently are closed. These closures are part of construction on the final phase of the I-75 Modernization Project, which will reconfigure the highway through downtown.
Drivers who previously used these ramps to enter or leave downtown should begin using one of the alternative routes. The following ramps will remain open throughout construction and serve as primary detours to access downtown:
- Jefferson Street off U.S. 35
- Main Street off I-75
- Edwin C. Moses Boulevard off I-75
Click here for a detour map to access the downtown and Oregon District areas, as well as the Salem Avenue corridor, from I-75. Note that the interchange from eastbound U.S. 35 to northbound I-75 will remain closed for the reconstruction of a bridge.
Portions of First Street and Robert Drive Closed
According to the Ohio Department of Transportation, First Street is now closed between Robert Drive and Red Cross Lane. This portion of First Street will remain closed for the duration of the project, scheduled to run through fall 2017.
The official detour for First Street is:
- Traveling east on Salem Avenue/First Street, turn right onto Robert Drive and continue to Third Street
- Turn left onto Third Street, continue to Wilkinson Street
- Turn left onto Wilkinson Street:
- To access First Street between I-75 and Wilkinson Street, turn left onto Second Street and right onto Red Cross Lane
- To travel east on First Street, continue to First Street and turn right
Also according to ODOT, Robert Drive is now closed between Third and Fifth streets. The official detours for Robert Drive during this closure are:
- Traveling south on Robert Drive, turn left on Third Street and continue to Perry Street
- Turn right onto Perry Street, continue to Fourth Street
- Turn right onto Fourth Street, continue to Robert Drive/Mead Street
- Traveling north on Robert Drive/Mead Street, turn right on Fifth Street and continue to Wilkinson Street
- Turn left onto Wilkinson Street, continue to Fourth, Third or Second streets
- Turn left onto Fourth or Third streets to access Sinclair's campus and surrounding areas, OR turn left onto Second Street and continue to Robert Drive to access First Street and Salem Avenue
The DDP will post updates on I-75 construction as more details on the project are received from ODOT.
-to request email updates on the I-75 project.
The $168 million final phase of the I-75 Modernization Project will improve safety, decrease congestion, and provide much-needed updates to the more than 50-year-old highway between the intersections of I-75 and Route 4 and I-75 and U.S. 35. The project is expected to be completed in fall 2017. I-75 between Main and Fifth streets will be completely reconstructed. The project includes:
- removal of left-hand entrances and exits, replaced by one primary ramp to access downtown;
- creation of three continuous lanes in both directions from Third to Main streets and upgrading of pavement conditions;
- total reconstruction of 12 bridges;
- creation of one central interchange in the area of First and Third streets; and
- the realignment of surface streets to coordinate with revised interstate entrances and exits.
In these renderings of the completed I-75 through downtown, notice the new green space created along the river and larger, easier-to-access exit and entrance ramps at Third Street.