I-75 Modernization Final Phase
Check back regularly for the latest updates on highway construction
Alert: Traffic Pattern Shift Announced.
According to the Ohio Department of Transportation, a traffic pattern switch will take place on northbound and southbound I-75 between US 35 and Main Street throughout the week of September 15-19 as part of the I-75 Modernization Project through downtown Dayton:
A single lane closure will be in effect on I-75 southbound between US 35 and Main Street beginning Monday, September 15 at 8 p.m. This will turn into a double lane closure between 11 p.m. and 5 a.m. There may be a brief total closure of I-75 south during the actual traffic shift. Traffic on I-75 south will be shifted to the newly constructed southbound side of the interstate once lanes reopen Tuesday, September 16th at 6 a.m. The following ramps will also be closed during this time:
- Ramp from Main Street to I-75 southbound; detour is Main Street to I-75 northbound to Stanley Avenue to I-75 southbound
- The ramp from I-75 southbound to US 35 will be closed briefly; detour is I-75 southbound to Edwin C. Moses Blvd. to I-75 northbound to US 35
September 16 & 17:
Single lane closures will be in effect on I-75 northbound and southbound September 16 and 17. Southbound closures will take place between 9 p.m. and 6 a.m. Northbound closures will take place between 11 p.m. and 5 a.m. One northbound lane and two southbound lanes will remain open at all times.
A single lane closure will be in effect on I-75 northbound between US 35 and Main Street beginning Thursday, September 18 at 11 p.m. There may be a brief total closure of I-75 northbound during the actual traffic shift. Traffic on I-75 northbound will be shifted to the newly constructed southbound side of the interstate once lanes reopen Friday, September 19 at 6 a.m. The following ramps will also be closed during this time:
- The ramp from US 35 westbound to I-75 northbound; detour is US 35 westbound to I-75 southbound to Edwin C. Moses Blvd. to I-75 northbound
- The ramp from I-75 northbound to Main Street will be closed briefly; detour is I-75 northbound to Stanley Avenue to I-75 southbound to Main Street
Once all of the above work is completed, traffic will be in its new configuration on the newly constructed southbound side of I-75 with two northbound lanes and three southbound lanes available for motorists. This will allow crews to work on constructing the new northbound side of I-75.
Arrow boards and signs will be in place prior to the work zone to alert motorists of the upcoming closure. All work is weather permitting. Safety is a top priority at ODOT. To help ensure the safety of the construction workers, as well as the traveling public, motorists should remain alert, reduce their speed and watch for stopped traffic while passing through the work zone.
Alert: New 24-hour road closures in effect.
According to the Ohio Department of Transportation, various 24-hour road closures will be in effect beginning Monday, May 19, 2014, at 1 a.m. These lane closures are due to the reconstruction of Second Street in this area as part of the I-75 Modernization Project through downtown Dayton. The affected roads are scheduled to remain closed through the duration of the I-75 project.
The following roads will be closed:
- Second Street between Edwin C. Moses Boulevard and Red Cross Lane
- Salem Avenue between Edwin C. Moses Boulevard and Robert Drive
- Robert Drive between Monument Avenue and Third Street
- Vista View Drive between Second and Third streets
Current Travel Conditions:
All southbound and northbound I-75 ramps through downtown currently are closed. These closures are part of construction on the final phase of the I-75 Modernization Project, which will reconfigure the highway through downtown.
Drivers who previously used these ramps to enter or leave downtown should begin using one of the alternative routes. The following ramps will remain open throughout construction and serve as primary detours to access downtown:
- Jefferson Street off U.S. 35
- Main Street off I-75
- Edwin C. Moses Boulevard off I-75
All southbound traffic has been moved to the northbound side of I-75 so crews can demolish and reconstruct southbound I-75. The lane switchover takes place between Main Street and U.S. 35. Drivers are asked to use extreme caution in this area.
Click here for a detour map to access the downtown and Oregon District areas, as well as the Salem Avenue corridor, from I-75. Note that the interchange from eastbound U.S. 35 to northbound I-75 will remain closed for the reconstruction of a bridge.
Portions of First Street and Robert Drive Closed
According to the Ohio Department of Transportation, First Street is now closed between Robert Drive and Red Cross Lane. This portion of First Street will remain closed for the duration of the project, scheduled to run through fall 2017.
The official detour for First Street is:
- Traveling east on Salem Avenue/First Street, turn right onto Robert Drive and continue to Third Street
- Turn left onto Third Street, continue to Wilkinson Street
- Turn left onto Wilkinson Street:
- To access First Street between I-75 and Wilkinson Street, turn left onto Second Street and right onto Red Cross Lane
- To travel east on First Street, continue to First Street and turn right
Also according to ODOT, Robert Drive is now closed between Third and Fifth streets. The official detours for Robert Drive during this closure are:
- Traveling south on Robert Drive, turn left on Third Street and continue to Perry Street
- Turn right onto Perry Street, continue to Fourth Street
- Turn right onto Fourth Street, continue to Robert Drive/Mead Street
- Traveling north on Robert Drive/Mead Street, turn right on Fifth Street and continue to Wilkinson Street
- Turn left onto Wilkinson Street, continue to Fourth, Third or Second streets
- Turn left onto Fourth or Third streets to access Sinclair's campus and surrounding areas, OR turn left onto Second Street and continue to Robert Drive to access First Street and Salem Avenue
The DDP will post updates on I-75 construction as more details on the project are received from ODOT.
-to request email updates on the I-75 project.
The $168 million final phase of the I-75 Modernization Project will improve safety, decrease congestion, and provide much-needed updates to the more than 50-year-old highway between the intersections of I-75 and Route 4 and I-75 and U.S. 35. The project is expected to be completed in fall 2017. I-75 between Main and Fifth streets will be completely reconstructed. The project includes:
- removal of left-hand entrances and exits, replaced by one primary ramp to access downtown;
- creation of three continuous lanes in both directions from Third to Main streets and upgrading of pavement conditions;
- total reconstruction of 12 bridges;
- creation of one central interchange in the area of First and Third streets; and
- the realignment of surface streets to coordinate with revised interstate entrances and exits.
In these renderings of the completed I-75 through downtown, notice the new green space created along the river and larger, easier-to-access exit and entrance ramps at Third Street.