Walk on downtown's creative side!
Get around downtown during our fall Urban Nights event on Friday, September 12, starting at 5 p.m. More than 30,000 people are expected to pack the streets, so come join the fun and experience your downtown!
What is Urban Nights?
Urban Nights is a free event that showcases downtown's dining, nightlife, art, music, retail, urban living options and more twice a year - once in the spring and once in the fall. The event has been described as a huge, all-inclusive street party and open house for downtown, with something for everyone to enjoy.
Businesses and restaurants offer specials, artists and galleries open their doors to the public, musicians and entertainers of all kinds perform throughout the center city, and several of downtown's urban living options are open for tours. More than 100 creative places and spaces are part of the event, including locations throughout downtown, the Oregon District and the Wright-Dunbar Business Village.
Don't miss special Urban Nights entertainment and activities at these locations throughout downtown:
NEW! Splatter Zone
Corner of First & Wilkinson streets
Sponsored by Sinclair Community College
Join volunteers from UpDayton and the Dayton Graffiti Task Force in the Splatter Zone!
Use paintballs to decorate boards that will be used for community beautification projects. Check out the Dayton Inspires photo booth and tell us why you love the Gem City. Bring your own T-shirt or other clothing item and get "tagged" at the Dayton Inspires spray paint station.
Wright-Patt employees and their families can check in here for the Wright Now Downtown raffle.
Outdoor games, food trucks, beer and live music round out the entertainment at the Splatter Zone!
Splatter Zone Stage
5-5:30 p.m. - Travis Williams
5:50-7 p.m. - Jamie Suttle Band
7:30-9 p.m. - This Side Up
NEW! Art in Action
K12 Gallery for Young People, 341 S. Jefferson St.
Sponsored by DP&L
Experience the Urban Nights motto, "Walk on the Creative Side," with a variety of fun activities at "Art in Action," presented in conjunction with K12 Gallery for Young People and TEJAS.
Join K12 artists in mini "Art-Off" Iron Chef-style art competitions, or help K12 artist Lisa Haapapuro create a whimsical indoor installation on the columns inside K12's building.
Enjoy dance performances and bands throughout the evening, along with food trucks, artist demos, building tours and more!
Art in Action Stage
5-5:30 p.m. - Miami Valley Dance Company
5:50-7 p.m. - Bulletproof
7:20-7:40 p.m. - SMAG Dance Collective
8 to 9 p.m. - The Auburn Collective
Live on Five
Fifth Street in the Oregon District, near Trolley Stop
Sponsored by Miami Valley Gaming
Rock out to some great area bands while people watching in the heart of the Oregon District.
Live on Five Stage - Media Sponsor: WYSO 91.3
5-5:25 p.m. - Yvette Williams
5:45-7:05 p.m. - Bashiri Asas
7:25-8:45 p.m. - Cincy Brass
9:05-10 p.m. - Meghna & the Majority
Other highlights of the September 12 Urban Nights include:
- Tours of downtown's urban living spaces
- Eclectic art in downtown's galleries and elsewhere
- Specials at downtown's unique restaurants, nightlife and retail shops
- Live entertainment, cultural arts, creative and tasty cuisine, and other festivities in the Wright-Dunbar Business Village
- Urban Bikes @ Urban Nights bike ride leaving from Fifth Third Field at 6 p.m. and ending at RiverScape MetroPark
- Over the Edge - watch volunteers rappel down the side of KeyBank Tower for Big Brothers Big Sisters of the Greater Miami Valley
- Mini-Midwest Outdoor Experience on Courthouse Square - try slacklining, stand-up paddleboarding and pixie bike racing from 5 to 8 p.m.
- Taste of Miami Valley and Home Show at RiverScape MetroPark, with restaurant food samples, home improvement displays and live music Friday and Saturday
- Dash 4 Cash at Dave Hall Plaza, a community scavenger hunt from the Better Business Bureau, with proceeds benefitting the Ronal McDonald House of Dayton
The best way to see as much as possible during Urban Nights is to walk, so remember to wear comfortable shoes! Free buses will be provided by the Greater Dayton RTA to help you reach venues in more distant areas such as Wright-Dunbar.
If you have questions about Urban Nights or want more information, email
- or call her at (937) 224-1518 ext. 227.