2019 Race Rules
The Great Dayton Adventure Race
Saturday, June 1 | 2 – 6pm
About the Race
The Great Dayton Adventure Race is a scavenger hunt in and around downtown Dayton, starting and ending in the Oregon District. You’ll experience the city in a whole new way as you weave through downtown, finding the answers to clues. The race will take you to all corners of the downtown area, and you are sure to discover new places and things in our city! Team up with friends or tackle the challenge solo, then check out all downtown Dayton has to offer.
Racers will navigate the city with a map, answering the questions and performing tasks on the clue sheet in this action-packed adventure.
All teams (captain and team members) must check in at Race Headquarters to begin and end the race. Race Headquarters will be located in the Oregon District within the section of Fifth St. closed for the event (between Pine St. & Jackson St.).
Race Headquarters & Registration
452 E. Fifth St.
Dayton, OH 45402
(in front of Rebel Rebel Tattoo)
Be sure to allow some time for check-in. Each member of the team will need to sign a waiver and get a wrist band so that race staff and volunteers throughout downtown can identify race participants. Your time will begin when your team receives the official clue sheet and map.
Divisions & Registration Cost
Teams may have 1 to 4 racers.
Competitive Division | $30 per team
Test your skills and speed as you compete against other racers! Teams in the Competitive Division are eligible to win cash prizes and must complete the entire race on foot; no bikes, bus rides, or motorized vehicles permitted.
Non-Competitive | $20 per team
Enjoy the adventure at your own pace! Teams in the Non-Competitive Division are NOT eligible for cash prizes.
All race participants who turn in their team’s clue sheet by 6:00pm will be eligible for individual door prizes. Competitive teams who turn in their sheet by 6:00pm will additionally be eligible for team cash prizes.
Competitive Division Prizes: 1st place – $200 | 2nd place – $150 | 3rd place – $100 | 4th place – $75 | 5th place – $50
Cash prize winners will be announced at 6:15pm in the Oregon District. Door prize winners will be posted at Race Headquarters and must claim their prize by 6:30pm.
Weather & Refunds
No refunds. Once paid, regisration fees for the race are non-refundable.
The Great Dayton Adventure Race will happen rain or shine. In the event of severe weather, we will cancel the race and make every attempt to reschedule it.
Schedule & Timing
Race Day: Saturday, June 1, 2019
Start Time: Teams may start at any time between 2:00 pm and 5:00 pm. Your start time will be recorded on your clue sheet in order to calculate your total race time at the end.
End Time: Your end time will be recorded when you return your clue sheet to the registration table at Race Headquarters. All teams must turn in their clue sheet by 6:00 pm to be eligible for the cash and/or door prizes.
Prize Announcements: Join us at Race Headquarters at 6:15pm for the announcement of the race winners and door prizes.
Post-Race: After the race, stay and enjoy the live entertainment and street party in the Oregon District!
Your team’s ranking will be based first on the number of clues correctly answered, then by time. Here’s a sample leaderboard to illustrate how it works:
1st place: 20 correct answers in 90 minutes
2nd place: 20 correct answers in 100 minutes
3rd place: 19 correct answers in 60 minutes
- You may start the race any time between 2:00 and 5:00pm. You must turn in your clue sheet by 6:00pm to be eligible for prizes.
- Your race time will begin when you receive your map and clue sheet.
- Scoring will be based first on the number of clues correctly answered, then by time.
- The clues/tasks may be answered/performed in any order.
- All teams may use cell phones to assist with directions.
- For the Competitive Division the entire race must be completed on foot; no bikes, bus rides, or motorized vehicles permitted. Any competitive racers observed violating this rule will have their team immediately disqualified. (Non-Competitive Division racers may use bikes, The Flyer, or other forms of non-motorized vehicles if they wish.)
- Teams must stay together as a group; splitting up to divide and conquer is not permitted. We will have several course marshals out on the course. When asked, all members of the team will need to check in with the marshal. Failure to do so will result in immediate disqualification.
- Obey all street and traffic laws. Racers must follow all pedestrian laws applicable to foot-based travel in an urban environment.
- Upon completion of the race, return to Race Headquarters to have your end time recorded by a staff member at the registration table.
Any additional information regarding the race will be posted on this website as the race date gets closer.