For More Information: 937-224-1518 or firstname.lastname@example.org
February 2 First Friday: Groundhog Day Edition
January 25, 2018, DAYTON, Ohio — If you got to choose the day you were forced to relive over and over again, it might as well be First Friday, February 2. There would be plenty of art gallery openings to visit, concerts to watch, live theater to enjoy, dining specials to indulge, and special events at boutique retailers to attend. Actually, a “Groundhog Day” scenario might be the only way to hit all of the event activities listed below. For those who must settle for hurtling through time and space in the regular, predictable manner, becoming a First Friday frequent flier will help ensure a well-rounded experience is attained by the end of the year.
So shop, dine, create, listen, clap, dance, drink, explore, and celebrate in downtown Dayton on Friday, February 2, and get ready to do it all over again – next month!
For more information about First Friday, or to find business addresses, parking, upcoming activities and more, visit the DDP website at downtowndayton.org or use the location-based mobile site, mobile.downtowndayton.org. Invite friends and family to partake in First Friday fun! “Like” and share the First Friday Facebook page or the event page.
• Dayton Society of Artists, 48 High St.: Dayton Society of Artists will present the Debut showing of “To and From the Edge of the World: Digging to the other side,” an art film by Ann B. Kim. The Jane Reece Invitational Exhibition will also be open. Both galleries will be open from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. Call 228-4532.
• Dayton Visual Arts Center, 118 N. Jefferson St.: First Friday marks the opening reception for The Cline Show: Annual Art & Design Student Invitational. Enjoy some of the best work from Dayton’s university students from Wright State, University of Dayton, Sinclair, and more. Reception begins at 6 p.m. Call 224-3822.
• Edward A. Dixon Gallery, 12 S. Ludlow St.: The Edward A. Dixon Gallery will be open from 4 p.m. to 8 p.m. for First Friday. Featured installations include “Art in Cinema” (movie posters); Cuban art of Julio Antonio Pino Varens; local artists Marilynn Page, Mikee Huber, and Tony Lee; and art from the Philippines by K.S. Maneja. Call 985-2115.
• The Front Street Building Co., 1001 E. Second St.: It’s time for another First Friday at Front Street! This event features over two dozen art studios and artists all in one location, including painters, sculptors, glass makers, and jewelry makers.
• K12 Gallery & TEJAS, 341 S. Jefferson St.: Your’re invited to help Girl Scout Troop #33101 glaze bowls at K12 Gallery & TEJAS. Bowls will be made for House of Bread’s annual Empty Bowls event. K12 Gallery & TEJAS will also host the gallery opening for the 2018 Regional Scholastic Art Awards Exhibit which celebrate creative teens in the Dayton community.
• Blind Bob’s, 430 E. Fifth St.: Raging Nathans, The Story Changes, Yardboss, Sok, and Negative Protein take to the stage! Take $1 off well drinks during happy hour from 4-8 p.m. Call 938-6405.
• Dublin Pub, 300 Wayne Ave.: Celebrate Irish First Friday at the Dublin Pub with a Miami Valley Pipes & Drums performance at 7 p.m. and featuring DULAHAN starting at 8:30 p.m. Call 224-7822.
• Hannah’s, 121 N. Ludlow St.: This First Friday, Hannah’s will host the first Musician’s Co-Op with Mick Montgomery. Starting at 7 p.m., hear from some of Dayton’s finest singers and songwriters and enjoy Hannah’s signature drinks and sandwiches. Call 640-1335.
• The Neon, 130 E. Fifth St.: Downtown’s independent movie house offers foreign and indie films, as well as mainstream movies and documentaries. Enjoy locally roasted Boston Stoker coffee, or a selection of craft beer, wine, and mixed drinks during the show. Call for current lineup and show times: 222-SHOW (7469).
• The Stage Door, 44 N. Jefferson St.: Sing your heart out at Friday Night Karaoke with DJ Alvarez! Karaoke and dance music requests starting at 10 p.m. Video games, pool, keno, lottery, and darts on tap, as well. Call 223-7418.
• Third Perk Coffeehouse and Wine Bar, 46 W. Fifth St.: Listen to great music from the Midwest area at Third Perk’s Coffeehouse Music Series. There is a $5 admission and all proceeds go to the artist each week. This week’s feature is Freakquency. Call 223-7375 for more information.
• The Yellow Cab Tavern, 700 E. Fourth St.: The Yellow Cab Tavern will host the inaugural Remnant Family Jam on First Friday. The night will feature the two Remnant brothers and their primary projects including Jesse in Human Cannonball and Adam playing with his backing band. They will also feature Counterfeit Madison, Blake Skidmore and a number of surprise guests! Performances start at 8 p.m.
• The Black Box Improv Theater, 518 E. Third St.: Womit 2.0 takes the stage every Friday night from 8 to 9 p.m. The show format may change but the performers do not! They may interview an audience member, discuss personal stories, or simply take a one-word suggestion to create an hour of fun. BYOB. Call for ticket prices and availability: 369-0747.
• Dayton Chess Club, 18 W. Fifth St.: Dayton Chess Club hosts a quick tournament for U.S. Chess Federation members. Games are perfect for club chess players and those experienced with online chess games who would like to test their skill over the board. The club opens at 6:30 p.m. and registration ends at 7:25 p.m. The first of four games begins at 7:30. Visit daytonchessclub.com for more details. Call 461-6283.
• Dayton Theatre Guild, 430 Wayne Ave. The Guild presents “Stella and Lou.” Lou is happy to run his Philadelphia bar and enjoy time with Stella when she stops in. But Stella has decided they need to take the next step in their relationship – or she’s moving to Florida. This funny, wise, and tender story is a mid-life portrait of friendship, and maybe more. Show at 8 p.m. For tickets, call 278-5993.
• Drakes Downtown Gym, 111 E. Fifth St.: Head over to Drake’s Downtown gym for First Friday Night Fights! Check out some of Dayton’s up and coming fighters. Event is BYOB and admission is $5 at the door. Call 223-6193.
• The Loft Theatre, 126 N. Main St.: The Human Race Theatre Company continues its 31st Season with Laura Eason’s Sex with Strangers. Do not miss the opening night showing at 8 p.m. with a post-show lobby party. For ticket information, call (937) 228-3630.
• Metroparks Ice Rink, 237 E. Monument Ave.: Lace up your skates and hit the rink for School Pride Night! Bring your Student ID and receive half-priced admission from 7 p.m. to 10 p.m. For rink status, call 278-2607.
• Skeleton Dust Records, 133 E. Third St.: Skeleton Dust Records presents an art opening for Dayton’s own, Sam Lobér. Enjoy live performances from Noiseteria Emission, Michael Trash, and Debbie De Casio. Light refreshments provided. Performances begin at 7 p.m. Call 221-8528.
• Wiley’s Comedy Joint, 101 Pine St.: Doors open for Wiley’s Comedy Showcase at 7:30 p.m. Show starts at 8:00 p.m. Two-item minimum purchase. Call 224-5653 for more info.
• Clash Dayton, 521 E. Fifth St.: Clash will host the opening reception for the “Fetish Art Show” featuring Amanda Barbosa from 5 p.m. to 10 p.m. Clash will also sell their vintage lingerie collection that is normally found online only. Call 241-9434.
• Square One Salon & Spa, 506 E. Third St.: Join Square One for Lipsticks & Champagne from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. Guests will receive a complimentary lip make over and enjoy a 20% off discount on all Aveda lip products. Call 461-2222.
Food and Drink
• Blind Bob’s, 430 E. Fifth St.: Featuring happy hour from 4 p.m. to 8 p.m., $1 off well drinks. Check the boards for the special menu item of the day.
• Citilites Dayton, 109 N. Main St.: Come see what the Dayton region’s breweries and distilleries have to offer, while enjoying music from The Deron Bell band at the Winter Brewster & Spirits. Event will feature drinks from over 18 different providers. Tickets, which include a sampling glass and ten tastes, can be purchased at https://victoriatheatre.com/shows/winter-brewster-spirits/.
• Deaf Monty’s Wine, 22 Brown St.: Enjoy $2-$3 tastings of select wines. Small plates available for purchase. Call 225-9463.
• Trolley Stop, 530 E. Fifth St.: Enjoy $5 “Trolley hour” food specials from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m.
• Basil’s on Market, 312 N. Patterson Blvd.: Every Friday starting at 4 p.m., Basil’s will offer all-you-can-eat crab legs and sides for $30 a person. Call 818-4390.
• The Barrel House, 417 E. Third St.: Head over to the Barrel House from 5 p.m. to 10 p.m. for beers, a glass or two of wine, and food from The Drunken Waffle food truck.
The Downtown Dayton Partnership’s website has a complete list of downtown’s arts and cultural amenities, as well as a dining guide, parking map and much more. Download the Find It Downtown mobile search tool for smartphones at http://mobile.downtowndayton.org.
Share this Post